Home » Blog » The Dos and Dont’s of Wedding Tastings
March 21, 2019
The Dos and Don'ts of Wedding Tastings
One of the most critical elements of creating the perfect wedding is the food. It’s an integral part of your reception, and you want the best cuisine you can get!
But to make sure you have the right food picked out for your wedding, you need to taste it and not just the cake. From the hors d’oeuvres down to the desserts, it’s always best to sample the cuisine so you can choose the right dishes for your wedding.
But this is not something that you should wait at until the last minute. There are a few dos and don’ts that you should keep in mind to get the best result out of wedding tastings.
Wedding Tasting Dos
- Know Your Budget: The more choices you add to your menu, the higher the price will be. If you can afford it, that’s great! But if you’re working with a tight budget, you’ll need to limit your choices. So make sure you know exactly how much you can spend before picking out a menu.
- Pay Attention: Is the service on point? Was the food fresh and tasty? As the old saying goes, the devil is in the details. You want to check that the food has been made with the best ingredients and quality.
- Ask Questions: Maybe there’s something on one catering menu that’s not on the one you’re planning on using. Is it possible to switch? Well, you never know if you don’t ask! Remember, the reason you’re at the tasting is to learn what you can and cannot have. So, remember to ask!
- Ask Around: Always check the work. Read reviews about the restaurant and the experience other couples have had with the caterer. And when in doubt, you can ask for references from the restaurant!
Wedding Tasting Don’ts
- Keep Your Tasting Party Small: Many couples want a group opinion on the food. So instead of keeping it an intimate affair, they bring their entire family to the tasting. But this is not a free meal for everyone. In fact, at Grico’s we charge for any additional guests who attend the tasting (which is complimentary for couples). Besides, do you really want everyone’s opinion?
- Limit Your Tasting Choices: Yes, you want to plan your entire menu and taste it beforehand. But that’s not possible. Remember, the more food you taste, the harder it will be to narrow down your choices. You have a budget to work with, after all! So only select a few favorites that you genuinely want to eat.
- It’s Not a Spur of the Moment Event: At Grico’s, tastings are held on Wednesdays and Thursdays evenings and are by reservation only. So you’ll need to plan a specific time and date to keep your tasting. You also need to choose your menu sections at least one week before the tasting. So if you’re swinging by the restaurant for your tasting on a random Saturday night, chances are you’re going to be disappointed.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Tweaks: Is a guest allergic to a particular food but you want it on the menu? You can always ask if the food can be tweaked!
Grico’s is Here to Help!
For 82 years, Grico’s has been catering to couples throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania. Whether you have a wedding of 200 or a small affair, we have catering menus that fit everyone’s need for wedding tastings.
To set up a tasting at our restaurant, please reserve your seat today or contact our Catering Coordinator Allison at 570-690-3339.
- Catering (1)